Our team is dedicated to finding and telling you more about the web’s best products. If you purchase through our links, we may receive a commission. Our editorial team is independent and only endorses products we believe in.
True story: I was named after one of the world’s most storied jewelry houses, but just because Tiffany & Co. is my namesake doesn’t mean I can readily afford its sky-high prices. Thankfully, diamonds are now getting the direct-to-consumer treatment, which allows us to ditch traditional retail markups in favor of major savings. The only problem? Splurging on thousands of dollars worth of jewelry online doesn’t quite equal shopping IRL, where solicitous associates ply you with bubbly as you peruse their offerings from a cushy lounge chair.
Enter: Verlas, a digital diamond purveyor bringing luxury right to your doorstep. While the team at Verlas can’t pour you Champagne as you shop their wares online, they’re offering first-class service in every other way. This female-led company is giving the Tiffanys of the world a run for their money (quite literally!) by sourcing high-quality stones at highly competitive prices. Eager to learn more about how Verlas is disrupting diamonds—sorry, Tiffany & Co., my loyalties lie with my wallet—I dove head-first into the brand to see if it could actually live up to the industry’s elite ateliers.
Short answer: It does—and then some. Keep reading to find out why!
So Many Diamonds, So Little Time
Its assortment covers all the bases—from dainty jewelry designed for everyday wear to fashion-forward stunners modeled on current trends. An in-depth wedding category also encompasses engagement rings, wedding bands, and anniversary gifts, many of them rooted in classic styles with a distinctly Verlas twist.
My namesake all but guaranteed I’d become a jewelry snob, but even the most discerning shopper will find something they love from Verlas’s substantial collection. Its assortment covers all the bases—from dainty jewelry designed for everyday wear to fashion-forward stunners modeled on current trends. An in-depth wedding category also encompasses engagement rings, wedding bands, and anniversary gifts, many of them rooted in classic styles with a distinctly Verlas twist. A few of my personal favorites:
- The timeless Essential Tennis Bracelet (starting at $1,685) consists of a series of diamonds in the exact same size, cut, color, and clarity for maximum brilliance.
- The Crossover Statement Band (starting at $769) is a versatile statement piece you can dress up or down—simple enough for every day, sophisticated enough for a special occasion.
- The Round-Center Princess Double Halo Ring (starting at $835) is a stunner—boasting a total of 79 diamonds in a lust-worthy, look-at-me-now design. Hint: You may want to “accidentally” forward this to your significant other.
- The maximalist in me adores the vintage-inspired Ornate Emerald Ring (starting at $1,234), which is exemplary of Verlas’s precise craftsmanship. The band sports milgrain detailing, which are tiny metal beads designed to create an intricate border.
- Two carats, 66 diamonds, one blinged-out bracelet. The Narrow Starlit Sky Bangle (starting at $3,473) sprinkles diamonds on satin-finished gold plate. (Cartier Love Bracelet who?)
- Worn solo or as a layering piece, the Captivating Necklace (starting at $725) is a modern must-have. The accessible price (“accessible” relative to the fine jewelry market!) makes this the perfect high-value gift for someone special.
Nearly every piece in Verlas’s collection is semi-customizable, so you can select the carat, clarity, and metal of your preference. Although Verlas’s default diamond offering includes VS and SI stones in H/I color and EX/VG cuts, set in 95% platinum and 14- and 18-karat gold, other qualities are available on special request—so feel free to go wild!
Bling On A Budget
Like many DTC companies, Verlas is committed to clarity when it comes to sourcing, manufacturing, and pricing. Not only is the company sourcing ethical diamonds from mines like DeBeers, Alrosa, Rio Tinto, and Dominion, it’s also implementing the highest standards of international labor laws at its studio. Plus, every stage in the company’s process is audited by independent third party Bureau Veritas, a global leader in testing, inspection, and certification services.
Verlas is so dedicated to transparent pricing that each item on the site comes with a full breakdown, detailing production costs like raw materials, labor, and warehousing and duty fees. A side-by-side graph of what Verlas charges compared to other retailers and designers offers a startling comparison; for example, whereas a designer ring might cost you $3,730, the same ring costs you $717 at Verlas—$286 of which the label pockets after the $431 it takes to create the piece. The wallet-friendly savings are enormous—allowing a broader swath of consumers (like me!) to finally invest in the kind of fine jewelry we’ll pass down for generations.
A side-by-side graph of what Verlas charges compared to other retailers and designers offers a startling comparison; for example, whereas a designer ring might cost you $3,730, the same ring costs you $717 at Verlas—$286 of which the label pockets after the $431 it takes to create the piece.
Taking It From URL To IRL
While one of the best parts about buying jewelry at a brick-and-mortar is being able to touch and interact with the product, Verlas makes the virtual shopping experience as seamless as possible. The brand’s proprietary Every-Angle-View technology offers a 360-degree perspective of each item, solo and on a model. You can rotate and zoom in on the image and even toggle between three different skin tones to examine how the piece might look against the one closest to yours.
Aware that most shoppers prefer to try before they buy—especially when it comes to investment pieces like fine jewelry—Verlas takes it a step further with an ultra-convenient Try-At-Home program that doesn’t cost a penny. You’ll select three pieces for a $99 deposit that’s refundable upon return of the kit, and Verlas will send exact replicas that sparkle almost like the real deal, made with cubic zirconia and coated brass to mimic the appearance of white, yellow, or rose gold. After up to 15 days, you’ll return them using a free prepaid label and Verlas will craft your favorites from scratch.
You’ll select three pieces for a $99 deposit that’s refundable upon return of the kit, and Verlas will send exact replicas that sparkle almost like the real deal, made with cubic zirconia and coated brass to mimic the appearance of white, yellow, or rose gold. After up to 15 days, you’ll return them using a free prepaid label and Verlas will craft your favorites from scratch.
The same goes for bespoke baubles. All you have to do is book a free consultation and a dedicated concierge will work closely with you to create anything you want, liaising with Verlas’s in-house studio to craft a complimentary design proposal and sketch. Your concierge is there every step of the way, making sure your feedback is implemented and you’re thrilled with the final result.
Verlas at Your Service
Speaking of the concierge team, Verlas is as invested in providing unparalelled customer service as it is in sourcing premium stones. After all, part of the dream that stores like Tiffany & Co. sell has to do with the experience—the jewelry sparkling beneath pristine display cases, the feeling of exclusivity, the ever-attentive service.
That includes a live chat system during business hours that follows you around Verlas’s website, so any questions are fielded almost immediately. (If you message the team off-hours, you’ll receive a prompt response via email the next day—trust me, I checked!) Then there’s the positively luxurious unboxing experience, your first physical touchpoint with the brand. Jewelry arrives in gorgeous ultrasuede black cases labeled with Verlas’s understated logo. Each one contains a royal purple envelope with a metal polishing cloth and an International Gemological Institute certification card that briefly describes the item and its cut, carat, color, and clarity.
Once you’re a Verlas customer, you’re a customer for life. The company’s excellent warranty program (more on that below!) includes upgrades, repairs, and more—meaning the door’s still open to collaborate with the concierge team in the future, whether you’re eyeing a bigger diamond for your ring or need the clasp of your necklace fixed.
Verlas unlocks a world of high-end jewelry for so many people—myself included—who never thought they’d be able to afford a personal jeweler. While the prestige of Tiffany & Co. will never fade, Verlas is the future of fine jewelry, making diamonds more accessible and approachable than ever. Plus, I have a feeling Verlas’s luxurious black boxes are about to enter the jewelry canon, right up there with Tiffany’s robin’s egg blue!
5 More Reasons to Love Verlas
- For $100 off your first order of $500 or more, sign up for Verlas’s newsletter (talk about a steal!).
- The brand offers a five-year warranty program called Verlas Care that’s easy to add on within 60 days of purchase. It’s priced per each individual piece of jewelry according to its purchase value, starting at $99 for any item below $500. Even better, the warranty includes access to Verlas’s full suite of services, including upgrades to higher-value pieces, buy-backs (if you change your mind!) for full retail value minus a 35% fee to cover service costs, and repairs.
- While Verlas doesn’t work with lab-grown diamonds yet, the brand is focused on environmentally friendly and ethical practices and was awarded the Butterfly Mark by Positive Luxury for its measurable impact and action on sustainability.
- A good referral program is always an added bonus: Send your friends a $50 off Verlas code, and if they make a purchase using your invite link, you’ll receive $50 off as well.
- Verlas offers free insured shipping on orders of $750 or more in the U.S. and free 30-day returns.