Our team is dedicated to finding and telling you more about the web’s best products. If you purchase through our links, we may receive a commission. Our editorial team is independent and only endorses products we believe in.
Superzero is on a mission to prove “that true beauty does no harm” with its line of shampoos, conditioners, hair serum and hand balm created in bar form. As a beauty writer, and admittedly a fanatic for new products, I was grateful for Superzero’s reminder that “with every wash, rinse, care and repeat” we expand our already destructive waste footprint. Living up to its etymology (Super performance/Zero waste), Superzero is a brilliant solution to environmental concerns. As I tested the product line, my goal was to determine if the brand’s products kept us beautiful, too.
No Plastic, No Problem
While Superzero is committed to its environmental cause, taking great pride in eliminating plastic waste to cut down on the 552 million plastic shampoo bottles sold annually, it also promises a beauty benefit – “lighter, lovable hair.” Because traditional haircare bottles are 90% water with a low concentration of active ingredients, extracting water to create a bar effectively equates to more product. One bar – teeming with clean, vegan and cruelty-free ingredients that leave your hair lighter, softer, and smoother – is equivalent to two to three bottles of shampoo. Need another beautiful benefit? Weighing in at a svelte 3oz., the shampoo bars produce fewer greenhouse gases generated during shipping.
One bar – teeming with clean, vegan and cruelty-free ingredients that leave your hair lighter, softer, and smoother – is equivalent to two to three bottles of shampoo. Need another beautiful benefit? Weighing in at a svelte 3oz., the shampoo bars produce fewer greenhouse gases generated during shipping.
The Know List
Like all clean beauty brands, Superzero has a no-no list (ingredients they absolutely won’t use), but these dynamic bars also have a “Know List” – approved and proven ingredients that live up to the brand’s high standards, keep the bars “squeaky clean” and deliver “sustainable solutions that clean, nourish, and enhance natural beauty.” Living proof that good things come in small packages.
No Performance Anxiety
While I was unsure of what to expect in the shower, I found it incredibly easy to use the bars. While massaging a wet Dry/Damaged Shampoo bar onto my wet hair, using gentle circles to create suds, I was shocked how quickly I got an incredible lather. Easy to rinse, and my hair did not feel stripped. The scent is divine.
The Conditioner bar takes more finesse. After wetting the bar and massaging between hands (as if washing your hands) it begins to feel silky. Superzero directs you to glide the bar over hair, taking your time as the conditioning formula releases gradually, until hair is coated and feels slippery. I focused on my ends and stayed away from my scalp. While I was initially concerned that this bar would not live up to the luxury conditioners I swear by, it rinsed out perfectly and my dried hair looked soft and healthy. As I tend to overuse conditioner, the bar – and its required patience – are just what I need to ensure that I coat hair with the bar for the ideal amount of conditioning.
What’s Your Type?
Superzero has set the bar high with a variety of offerings to address all hair needs. Choose from the following $18 Shampoo bars, which (with the exception of the Purple Bar for Blondes) have coordinating $18 Conditioner Bars:
- Normal/Oily/Fine: Cleanses without weighing hair down
- Dry/Damaged/Frizzy: Revives dry, damaged and color-treated hair
- Thinning/Aging: Strengthens hair while helping scalp
- Coily/Kinky: Hydrates, replenishes and restores hair gently
- Dandruff/Itchy Scalp: Comforts and treats hair and scalp
- Purple Bar for Blondes: Enhances blonde tones
With Superzero’s efficacy and unwavering commitment to the planet, adapting clean beauty for your hair is no sacrifice. And this is no trend. Less carbon footprint and gorgeous tresses are always in style.
5 More Reasons To Love Superzero:
- As innovators that led the development of beauty bars, Superzero has perfected formulas. As beauty brands scramble to catch up, there is more soap than shampoo in their bars. Stick with Superzero!
- Every Superzero ingredient must be good for our hair and our health, without harming the environment. For this reason, the brand has chosen to use responsibly sourced palm oil (RSPO certified) as it uses less space, emits fewer green gases, and requires less energy than the production of the alternative (often found in other shampoo bars) coconut oil.
- Superzero is the perfect travel companion, and offers a $6 savior bag (which also works at home to hold broken bar pieces) and a $15 storage case.
- Superzero offers two hand balm bars (calming lavender & chamomile; woodsy patchouli & lime blend) that use the same plastic-free innovation to deliver spectacular moisture. Easy to use on hands – and any other body parts - and non-greasy.
- Superzero participates in offset projects including global wind farms and the Plastic Bank in Haiti, which reduces and avoids ocean plastic while providing a source of income for the local population.