We don't like
Our team is dedicated to finding and telling you more about the web’s best products. If you purchase through our links, we may receive a commission. Our editorial team is independent and only endorses products we believe in.
When Goop’s resident entrepreneur declared in 2018 that menopause needed rebranding and aspirational women, little did Gwyneth know that Sally Mueller was already on the task. Mueller, a renowned marketer with an emphasis on women’s brands (Versed Skincare and Who What Wear among them), along with fellow retail veteran Michelle Jacobs created and co-founded Womaness, the modern menopause brand offering solutions for head to toe, and everything in between.
Struggle and Stigma
As evidenced by the number of times the recent New York Times article “Women Have Been Misled About Menopause” has been discussed in person and on social media, menopause dialogue is heated. And it’s not due to hot flashes. For too long, the topic has been taboo. Women, having suffered in silence given the stigma of menopause, want answers. They demand and deserve relief.
Sally Mueller was one of the many probing for answers. While she was fortunate in 2018 to meet with a Mayo Clinic doctor who rightfully attributed her symptoms (aches and pains, vaginal dryness, and dry skin) to menopause, she found a dearth of products for relief. “The packaging, names, chemical ingredients. It really didn’t resonate with me.” The concept of Womaness was born.
Thirty-Four Symptoms (and Counting)
The age of entering menopause and the impact of hormone fluctuations vary, but the list of symptoms — most studies say there are 34; others believe it’s double — are eerily consistent. 85% of women get symptoms over the course of the seven to fourteen years after onset (buckle up, it’s not a swift transition reminds the NIH) so finding solutions for the more common issues (hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, dry vagina, hair loss among them) as well as lesser-known ones (itchy ears, burning tongue, gum disease, decreased libido) is crucial.
“We feel well positioned to be the first stop in a woman’s menopause journey,” Mueller told TQE. Yet Womaness is anything but territorial. “While some call it the ‘menopause goldrush,’ we anticipated there would be a barrage of new telehealth concepts and new brands after we launched in 2021. We think it’s great to have more brands in the space as it gives the category authority and incentivizes the retailers to provide more modern options for the consumer.”
High Performance Products
Womaness prides itself on offering clinically-tested, doctor-approved formulations that don’t rely on estrogen or added hormones for efficacy. The vegan brand places just as much value on its soy-, gluten-, nut- and cruelty-free ethos as they do on customer reviews and recommendations. Anything not divulged on the site itself is discussed openly on the brand’s private Facebook group page aptly titled “The After Party.”
While the affordably-priced portfolio includes twenty overachieving products (covering skincare, feminine care, sexual health and supplements) below are some of my favorites — which are coincidentally some of their best sellers:
- Let’s Neck ($28.99) — A neck and décolleté serum with hyaluronic acid derivatives for moisture, microalgae extract for tightening and emblica (a fruit extract) to reduce wrinkles and age spots. The best feature? The instant cooling roller applicator that massages skin as it delivers ingredients.
- Brighten Up Toner ($24.99) — A triple acid complex non-abrasive exfoliating toner that feels wonderfully cool as it sweeps away dead skin, refines pores and reduces dark spots.
- The Works Body Cream ($21.99) — Using ingredients (hyaluronic acid derivatives, niacinamide and extracts including tropical, warm-water red algae, tara fruit and red snow flower) usually devoted to facial skincare, this non-greasy hydration also tones, boosts elasticity, tightens crepiness, and replenishes texture.
- Let Me Sleep ($24.99) — With magnesium, GABA (a stress-reducing superpower) and chamomile to ease you to sleep, and MicroActive® Melatonin (with its longer sustained-release formula) to stay asleep, you can hit snooze on menopause insomnia.
- Gone in a Hot Flash ($16.99) — A menthol-free cooling mist to calm skin (and recover from a hot flash) that neutralizes odor and keeps you fresh.
- Out D@mn Spot, Dark Spot Patches ($14.99) — Counteracts the menopause melatonin in overdrive (on spots likely instigated from not enough SPF), with patches containing Tranexamic Acid, an innovative ingredient known to improve skin discoloration, as well as antioxidants to target and fade spots.
A Beacon of Hope
Due to lack of physician training, as well as clinical studies gone awry, it’s no surprise menopausal women have been underserved by the medical community. At a time when it’s hard to know what you are experiencing, much less what to ask your doctor, it’s the leadership of Mueller and Jacobs that brings as much relief as their products. With a brand ethos that elevates the issues — which are physical, mental as well as emotional — Womaness helps women find solutions as well as support. “We believe [women] deserve modern, innovative products, essential information, and unlimited inspiration that helps take the “pause” out of menopause.” Jacobs has also admitted, “education is the number one reason people come to us.”
These co-founders have also tapped into experts in the fields of endocrinology, gynecology, sexual health, sleep, beauty and fitness to ensure a depth of research that spans the multitude of issues.
The Power of Menopositivity
While customers (myself included) are raving about the products, even past the retail side of things, Womaness “sparks a radiant, dynamic outlook that embraces who and where you are today…what we call menopositivity.”
Coinciding with Menopause Awareness month, the brand held a multi-city Menoposivity tour last October to offer live masterclasses focused on information, education and inspiration. The brand has since continued to host events for their thriving community, most recently at Lululemon, that showcase a panel of notable experts covering “the Four S's of Menopause": skin, sex, sleep and stress.
“We’re here to help you tap into your fierceness, your sexiness, your realness, your agelessness. Women at this stage of life are the coolest, smartest, most interesting women we know.”
5 MORE REASONS TO TAKE CHARGE WITH WOMANESS:
- The Womaness quiz can help identify the menopause solutions for your symptoms. You can purchase products individually or by bundle (Skin Down There Duo, Hot Flash Relief and Night Sweat Relief, and the Perimenopause Skin Savers Kit among them) based on your needs.
- The brand just celebrated its second anniversary and continues to launch new products. Most recently, Clean Slate ($21.99) — a supercharged cream cleanser (with hyaluronic acids, AHAs, and a soothing trio of chamomile oil, aloe and borage seed) that hydrates and protects dry or irritated menopausal skin, which is susceptible to worsening existing skin conditions such as acne, rosacea, eczema and psoriasis.
- Womaness continues to be a pioneer in what is now a burgeoning marketplace of menopausal brands, paving the way with education and product availability — most recently they were anointed the first menopause brand to partner with Ulta Beauty, the nation's largest beauty retailer. "It's a powerful moment that Ulta Beauty has recognized that women in this stage deserve to take up more space both in life and on shelves at retail," said Mueller with pride.
- The Ness is the brand’s educational blog that offers resources and an education on everything, both clinical and emotional, menopause can affect – skin, sleep, sex, food, joy, self-esteem and more. In addition to tapping into professional sources, there are personal essays from women with wisdom to impart.
- The brand offers subscribe and save purchasing — In addition to receiving a 10% discount, you will have the reassurance of always having product on hand.