Our team is dedicated to finding and telling you more about the web’s best products. If you purchase through our links, we may receive a commission. Our editorial team is independent and only endorses products we believe in.
According to the FDA, a product must be made of at least 55% sugar by weight to be classified as a “jam,” “jelly” or “preserve.” As an Australian with a penchant for healthy food, Chia Smash co-founder Anna Peck knew she could create something better. Striving for something far more nutritious and delicious, Chia Smash was born in Anna’s NYC kitchen comprising real ingredients – no added sugar (not even sugar substitutes), no preservatives, zero suspect or artificial ingredients.
Anna remembers the early days fondly, “I would make tons and tons of small batches in my tiny NYC apartment. My fridge was full of these mini jars plastered with recipes scribbled on masking tape. I was trying to create the perfect balance of enough sweetness while still celebrating the natural fruits, and a texture that would lend itself to be used in a variety of ways. I tested multiple different fruits, different sweetener options (I started with just bare fruits but had too many puckered lips!) and different cooking techniques. I knew I'd landed on the right recipes when it was being spooned out of the jar on its own.”
Since launching in 2018, Chia Smash has been breaking boundaries and, as Anna and her co-founding partner Steve Ford like to say, “raising the jar” with just four key ingredients in each flavor:
- Chia Seeds, a nutritional powerhouse of healthy fats that give the “gel” to the jam
- Dates, to provide natural sweetness as well as nutrients and minerals, including fiber, potassium and magnesium
- Lemons, a natural preservative that rounds out flavor
- Berries (Strawberry, Raspberry and Wild Blueberry available), antioxidant laden fruits that provide a punch of flavor
While I love all three varieties, I am old-school and favor Strawberry Chia Smash on everything from crackers to almond butter toast – on occasion, I eat it late at night straight from the jar with a spoon. The perfect snack.
In addition to containing no added sugar or preservatives, Chia Smash is vegan, keto and paleo friendly. One serving (1 TBSP) is 3-4 net carbs, 20-25 calories and bursting with flavor thanks to being jam packed (pun intended) with 75% fruit. As Chia Smash is the only jam made with chia seeds and is teeming with omega 3’s, protein, fiber, antioxidants and vitamins, it’s more of a superfood spread. Powerful sweet and tart flavors coupled with a runnier consistency than traditional jam, it blends well with an array of foods and drizzles on top with perfection. My granola and pancakes are now Instagram-worthy food presentations; Even Ina Garten would be proud.
Chia Smash is vegan, keto and paleo friendly. One serving (1 TBSP) is 3-4 net carbs, 20-25 calories and bursting with flavor thanks to being jam packed (pun intended) with 75% fruit. As Chia Smash is the only jam made with chia seeds and is teeming with omega 3’s, protein, fiber, antioxidants and vitamins, it’s more of a superfood spread.
A Recipe Booster
Adding Chia Smash to recipes gives even fun foods an extra – and healthy – kick. Tapping into the brand’s incredibly creative blog, I discovered two family favorites:
Mix ½ jar of Chia Smash through one pint of vanilla ice cream to cut the smash’s sweetness while adding zing to this treat. Scoop into your favorite cookies. Set for 15 minutes before serving.
The perfect morning starts when breakfast is made the night before. I combine ¾ cup of almond milk with ¼ cup of rolled oats, then roll in ½ of a grated apple and 2 TBSP of Chia Smash for the most delicious wake up call. When my crowd wants more, we top it with honey and more drizzling of Chia Smash. We may sprinkle in cinnamon and ground flax in the fall – this recipe has legs.
As nutrition plays a vital role in maintaining health as we age, I am always delighted to find a brand that can positively impact my well-being, tastes delicious and is fun to incorporate into meals.
5 More Reasons To Love Chia Smash:
- Chia Smash has nutritional benefits (the no added sugar treat being a great source of omega 3s, protein and fiber) never before found in jams.
- You can taste test Chia Smash – and its three flavor offerings – with a $24.99 sampler pack.
- The date syrup (made from 100% dates) used in Chia Smash is a low glycemic sweetener, which is ideal for managing blood sugar levels.
- You can incorporate Chia Smash into recipes around the clock to give them an added boost.
- Chia Smash sources ‘imperfect’ fruits – perfectly delicious fruit decreed too small/big/blemished by others. This remarkable approach has led to Chia Smash becoming “Certified Upcycled,” which means that the brand has a positive impact on the environment and the growing global concern of food waste.