Our team is dedicated to finding and telling you more about the web’s best products. If you purchase through our links, we may receive a commission. Our editorial team is independent and only endorses products we believe in.
Welcome to TQE’s FYP, where we scroll so you don’t have to. Get the latest trends on TikTok in time to jump on them yourself, for a business, or just feel rather savvy. From audios to products to concepts, here’s what’s dominated the feed this past week or so.
We don't like
This week on TQE's FYP:
- Barbie reigns supreme over the trends cycle. For those who have seen the film, you may recognize the way creators are describing their partners’ jobs, as similar to Ken’s job being “beach.”
- People have mixed feelings about the phrase “girl dinner.” Also, have you noticed most TikTok trends include the word “girl” nowadays? See: tomato girl summer, don’t talk to girls between 3 to 5 P.M.
- Latte makeup is dominating the beauty world. Think milky browns and an effortless glow. Also, have you heard of the Scandinavian hairline? Let’s dissect.
- Shop the trends with a nugget ice maker, plug-in bug zapper, and off-white Levi jeans.
His job is Desk.
Have you seen the Barbie movie yet? If not, grab your most vibrant pink outfit and go. Your boss will understand your Slack do not disturb. Anyhow, a major part of the movie is Ken having an ever-so-small existential crisis alongside Barbie herself. His job isn’t being a lifeguard, or a surfer. His job is “beach,” and he grapples with the implications of his career on his identity. (Sound familiar? We can relate.) Creators are flocking to TikTok to share their Kens’ jobs, simplified and distilled to their most basic components or settings. See below for a laugh, and remember: you are Kenough.
The one above is one of the most popular, with a whopping 6.6 million views. Others include this limited edition “Fly” Ken, with some posters joking about various Kens’ add-on accessories and capabilities.
Girl dinner. Enough said.
I had mixed feelings on the phrase “girl dinner” until two hours ago when I found myself wrapped in my bath towel, hunched over the counter eating pimento cheese and corn chips. Beside it: an apple, a non-alcoholic beer, and an avocado. And I had called it dinner.
“Girl dinner” started as a joke of sorts. Eating standing up over the kitchen table is a crucial ingredient to this somewhat bizarre combination of foods. And here’s a key part: it’s filling, so girl dinner doesn’t mean a single almond à la Gwenyth but rather enough food—just a random assortment.
Some use it to show combinations that are Pinterest-worthy but perhaps what we normally associate with one of our three square meals per day, like this: mac ‘n cheese in a wine glass, garnished with a chicken tender—enjoyed by 13.3 million viewers.
Beauty-wise, people are loving latte makeup, and the results are truly gorgeous.
Beauty creators thrive on TikTok thanks to its primarily visual medium, so makeup trends tend to spread quickly and thoroughly. This summer, we’re spying a beauty trend dominating our feeds: latte makeup. It focuses solely on browns and nudes, with a glowy undertone seemingly making you look “caffeinated” and energized. Frankly, it’s smoldering. Even celebs like Hailey Bieber, famous for her “glazed donut” look, are embracing the aesthetic.
The beauty, beyond the obvious, of the latte makeup trend is that it looks amazing on most skin tones. It’s neutral, attractive, and relatively easy to replicate. Of course, some creators have also branched into creating matcha latte or strawberry latte palettes (which kind of defeats the point, but we’ll let ‘em have this one.)
And what’s a Scandinavian hairline?
Hair-wise, we’ve seen the Scandinavian hairline dominating the beauty world. The Scandinavian hairline helps people to achieve a highlighted look using a specific colorist technique. Hair artists will take your baby hairs along the hairline and beach them with a freehand lightener. This allows the hair to blend into the rest of the head, which makes it appear brighter. TL;DR: it’s hairline highlights.
Of course, it’s not just for blondes either. It’s like balayage, more about the ways in which the colorist paints and colors your head rather than specifically being for blondes.
Songs making the rounds on TikTok this week:
Trending Products This August
- Levi’s Women’s 501 Original Jeans ($80) — Levi’s have been around for a long time for a reason, and this off-white pair is a great transition that you can use in the thick of summertime (it’s not Labor Day yet, y’all) and beyond for autumnal layering. Maybe that’s why this specific jean has skyrocketed in popularity across TikTok and Reels.
- GE Profile Opal Nugget Ice Maker ($530) — Nugget ice makers are all the rage in aesthetic home Reels, and there are a few reasons why. They’ll keep your drink cooler for longer, they’re ultra-chewable, and they elevate a daily luxury. The heat shows no signs of slowing down, so we’re hovering over that add-to-cart button. P.S. This favorite is on sale at Williams-Sonoma.
- Mosalogic Flying Insect Plug-In Trap ($16) — Recently, we’ve seen these plug-in bug zappers (say that three times fast) absolutely everywhere. With doors flung open for the breeze and mosquitoes sneaking into the kitchen, it’s a no-brainer. These easy gadgets are under $20 apiece and even come with a nightlight.
Happy scrolling! Email me directly – email@example.com – with any trends or products you think should be included, or DM us over @thequalityedit.